100 Meizan, Mt. Azuma Gunma/Nagano


Greetings cave dwellers of all ages.

I was blessed to get into the woods today.  the weather isn't cooperating too much these days but--if it's true that a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work, it must be doubly true about days in the mountains.

I had all sorts of mountain plans for this summer vacation but the weather and schedules aren't making the longer treks feasible.  I gave up on a planned 3-day trip to the Alps this week.   Today I only drove about an hour away and did a not-so-long hike in case the weather went bad.  It did go bad, so I guess I did the right thing.

The main mountain I climbed was Mt. Azuma (四阿山) in Gunma.  It's one of the 100 Famous Mountains so I assume it's beautiful.  I can't really say though.  Because of the weather, I really didn't get a good look at it.  Nor from it, either.  I'll have to go back on a clear day sometime.  

Here are the details:

Location:  Mt. Azuma Gunma/Nagano

Starting and stopping point:  Sugadaira Bokujo (菅平牧場)

Peaks bagged: Neko (根子岳) ~~ Koneko (小根子岳) ~~ Azuma (四阿山) ~~ Nishiazuma (西四阿山) ~~ Nakaazuma (中四阿山)

Getting there/getting around:  I drove.  There is a parking lot (200 yen) near the trailhead at Sugadaira Farm.  A bus from Ueda Station will go as far as the Tengu Bus Stop, which is a 37-minute walk from the trailhead.

Map: 山と高原地図17志賀高原草津白根山・四阿山

Weather Information: 

Mountain Weather (English)    

Mt. Azuma Weather Japanese 

***I checked 3 different weather reports.  As usual, they all conflicted.  One forecast lightning, thunderstorms, the four horsemen, of the apocolypse, sharknadoes .  .  .   Another forecast partly sunny skies.  The other predicted a perfect day.  Of the forecasts I checked, the first link I posted above was the best.  There were thunderstorms.  

Total Time:  5:52 Break time: :43  Distance:  11.3km

Elevation:  Lowest: 1,580m Highest: 2,354m Total Ascent:  1,094m Total Descent: 1,094m

Technical considerations/difficulty:  Fairly straightforward hike.  There is a lot of bamboo grass.  I encountered one snake on the trail.

Facilities:  Public restroom, cafe, gift shop at the trailhead.  Nothing on the trail.

Thoughts/observations/recommendations:  I'll have to do this again on a clear day.  I was robbed of any views because of the weather.  It really poured a few times and there were thunder and lightning.  Thankfully, not when I was near the top.


Today's listening: Bible in a Year



Without further ado, here are some pictures.







Snake!  This guy did not care that I was there.  I threw a lot of rocks and sticks at him but he wouldn't budge.  I finally took my life in my hands and hurdled over him.





There is a lot of this bamboo grass (sasa) on these mountains.  Bears like it.  Apparently there was a bear sighted on this trail last month.


I didn't take many pictures of the rain because it was coming down too fast and furious.  I do wish I'd taken a few when it was really coming down because it had really turned the trail into a stream.  

This is the second hike in a row that my feet have turned into hamburger from getting wet.












That's all for today.  Subscribe (or not).  Tell your friends (or not).  
See you again soon.

The Caveman






No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.