Falling down

What a wonderful, warm fall day for a hike!  It was really nice and I was happy to take a hike up over Mt. Otake with my buddy, Mike.

For this hike, since it was a beautiful fall day and seeing as the COVID restrictions have just recently been lifted in Tokyo, I knew the usual routes would be heavily trafficked so I opted to head up to Otake from the Senzoku bus stop in Hinohara.  Most people go to Otake from the north side of the mountain and take the cablecar up to Mitake on the way.  

I think it was a good choice.  We saw very few people on the trail but there were about 100 people on top of Otake when we got there.  I shudder to think what their hike was like coming from the other direction.  Even on Nokogiri there were about 25 people.  I've been there 4 or 5 times and have never seen anyone there before.


Tengu Falls is just up the trail a bit from the Senzoku Bus Stop.  It's a silly place as you will see later in this blogpost.  Stay tuned.


天狗の滝 Tengu Falls

Fuji was there in all its glory today.  On this route, there are a few spots to see it.

Mt. Fuji 富士山





Otake is only a few hours' climb. It was packed up there.  Mike and I had to wait in line to get this picture taken.  


I was surprised that so many leaves had changed.  My last hike was just last week to a colder place and at a higher elevation, but the leaves were changing here faster than there.


From Otake, we descended to Mt. Nokogiri and soon after that took a right turn so we could climb Mt Tenchi before finally descending through the Unazawa area to get to the train at Shiromaru Station.  The trail traversing Mt Tenchi doesn't really show up on maps so I had never done it before but I'd always been curious about whether Tenchi could be climbed or not.  It can!


. . . and it has a nice view.  The highest mountain in this picture is Mt Honnita.




Before reaching the station, there were a few more interesting things to see walking along Ome Kaido and the Tama River.  



多摩川奥多摩 Tama River in Okutama


This is the route for the day.  We used public transportation for this hike.  There is a bus from Musashi Itsukaichi Station bound for Fujikura that stops at Senzoku.  Returning, we took the Okutama Line from Shiromaru Station.













As I said, Tengu Falls was a funny place.  





See you soon.  I hope to get in some serious leaf-peeping soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.