Mt Mitake February 2021

Mt Mitake

January 30, 2021


I had the chance to go hiking with my friend, Russ, for a few hours the other day.  Since time was short, we went to Mt Mitake.  I am tempted not to post these pictures because I didn't take that many on this particular day and there are many great views that I'm not showing here.

Mitake is one of the most trafficked mountains in Tokyo.  Probably #2 only to Takao.  It's not too strenuous, has spectacular views of downtown Tokyo and is connected by trails to Hinode and Otake Mountains which are popular in their own right.



This is the main temple at the top of the mountain:

御岳神社 Mt. Mitake

One thing that I really like about Mitake is the souvenir shops at the cable car stations.  They sell inoshishi (wild boar) and bear meat in a can.  This is an inoshishi sandwich I had a few days later.


The street before the shrine.  There are plenty of shops, restaurants and inns in this little area.



On the trail . . .




Most people take the cable car up and down.  From the top cable car station it's a 45 minute~1 hour walk to the shrine.  We opted to start at Kori Station and extend the hike by a few miles.  Taking this route brings you by Mt Otsuka on the way (and avoids the crowds.)


大塚山東京 Mt. Otsuka near Mitake


This is the first time I ever have seen this place open.  They were charging admission though.  We skipped it.






Behind the main temple, there are a bunch of little shrines in the back.




Shrine on Mitake 御岳神社

Thanks for looking.  Hope you enjoyed it.

Make sure you follow me by email so you get updated.  I won't do anything else with your email address.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.