Kobotoke Shiroyama Trail Run


I headed out to the Uratakao area to get some time in the woods.  We've had so much rain lately that I have had to resort to going to familiar nearby mountains whenever there is a break in the weather for a few hours free to keep my feet from going soft.  I've been to this mountain innumerable times and I'm sure it's appeared on the blog before so I'm not going to write a lot.  


Location:  Mt. Kobotoke(Shiroyama) in Uratakao, Hachioji.  (Uratakao means "Behind Takao".)

Starting and stopping point:  Hikagezawa Parking Lot

Mountains climbed: Kobotoke(Shiroyama)

Getting there/getting around:  There are buses from Takaosanguchi.  I took my scooter.

Map:  Yama to Kogen Chizu #28 高尾・陣馬 TAKAO・JINBA

Weather Information:  Takao Weather Forecast

Distance:  7.8km.  It took me about 36 minutes to get up and about 28 to get down.

Elevation:  508 meters up and 508 meters back down

Technical considerations/difficulty:  Really great road for a run.  It's roughly paved and is less likely to cause a sprained ankle than a lot of trails.  It is a very steady, some might say unrelenting, slope.

Facilities:  There is a teahouse at the top and a public toilet up there.  The teahouse is seasonal.

Thoughts/observations/recommendations: I was happy with the view.  Kobotoke is a pleasant mountain.  It's less crowded than its more popular little sister next door, Takao-san.





The entrance is just off Route 516.


A parking lot.  Much of the road is of this quality all the way to the top.  I ran it in regular sneakers with no problem.


The road follows this stream most of the way.  It's pretty.


The top.  Looking out at Tokyo to the east.  You can see Skytree and downtown with the naked eye.


On the other side of the top, looking to the southwest.



Looking east again.


Come again, soon.  Keep your fingers crossed for nice weather.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.