Hikeling around Akiruno September 14, 2021

One thing I have enjoyed about living in fairly close proximity to the mountains is what I call hikeling.  I can ride my bike for an hour or two (or ten) and get off and hike.  The bicycle enables me to get to mountains and trails that trains, buses, and cars just can't.  I like to take the forest ranger roads(林道 "rindo") to hiking trails.  Sometimes I don't even need a trail to get to a peak from a ranger road.  

On this particular day, I took my bike along the Bonbori River on the Bonbori Forest Road (林道盆堀) in Akiruno to Iriyama Pass and climbed Mt. Ichimichi from there.  


Bonbori Forest Road 林道盆堀 in Akiruno


We've had a lot of rain this year so the streams and rivers have been flowing.  I did run into a few guys doing 沢登 ("sawanobori"--climbing up streams).   That looks fun, but kind of dangerous.  Some of these gorges and streams are pretty gnarly.






Clear blue skies are really scarce these days.








These 林道 are really fun to ride on.  Even the regular streets in these areas are justifiably popular with bicyclists.  If you're not lucky enough like me to live within biking distance, you can find rental bikes at many stations.  I know there are bike rentals available at Musashi Itsukaichi Station, Mitake Station and Okutama Station.  If you do some research, I am sure you can find them other places, too.

More later.  Take care.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.