"Nothing to see here, please move along." Mt. Takigo (滝子山)

 Hello Cavedwellers.


Yesterday was my last hike of the summer.  Leslie Nielsen summed it up pretty well.



On July 28, I dropped by Mount Takigo in Otsuki City, Yamanashi Prefecture.  Supposedly it has once of the best views of Fuji, so I was really looking forward to it.  

This is what I saw.
Mt. Takigo 滝子山 no view

Bummer



Not to be deterred by one bad day, I decided to try again.  

This is what it looked like yesterday!
Mt. Takigo 滝子山 Still no view





Pretty amazing, wasn't it?





It happens.  I've finally resigned myself to not expect to see anything on summer hikes.  There are mountains I've been on 4 or 5 times from which I've yet to see any view because I've only been on them in July or August.  

Despite the poor visibility, I'm often surprised how often I still get satisfying pictures even on days like this one.  Let's take a look at some.


This one is just after leaving Hatsukari Station.  The corn is all in.  So are most of the summer vegetables, but the rice is still in the ground almost ready for harvesting.







The mountain to the left-center in this picture is Takagawa.
Mt. Takagawa 高川山




This tree was planted the month before my wife was born. That one month makes a difference I guess.  This tree is this tall but my wife is still under 5 feet!  Maybe she'll have a growth spurt this month.

藤沢大杉 The Fujisawa Big Cedar




Regardless of the lack of a distant view, yesterday did have the cool misty vibe going for it.  Also, this particular hike had me walking along streams with plenty of falls for about one third of the day.  I really like walking along the water.










For this hike, I took my scooter to Hatsukari Station on the Chuo Line and parked there.  My plan was to descend to Sasago Station and ride the train back to my bike.  When I was getting near the train line, I checked the train times against my ETA on foot and decided just to walk back to Hatsukari.  It was only a difference of about 5 to 10 minutes and I saved the ¥200.  This hike was 19.6km and took me almost 7 hours.  If you look at the map, you can see near the beginning I went on a loop to a place marked with a yellow called 殿平.  I could have skipped that.  There was nothing there to see.

As I often try to do at the end of a long day, I gave my dogs a treat at the end.


I'll leave you with some more water gifs.  See you next time.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.