Revenge on Ryokami

 Yesterday was revenge day.  

One of the 100 Famous Mountains of Japan is Mt Ryokami (両神), in Saitama.  I climbed it once a year or two ago but I promised myself I would try to go again even though it's quite far from me for two reasons.  First, it was cloudy and I didn't see anything the first time.  Second, I wasn't able to buy a memorial badge.  I try to buy one of these mementos whenever I climb one of the 100 Famous Mountains.  


This is the badge for Ryokami.  I received it yesterday.


I tried climbing Ryokami once more from a different trail last year but turned back before even getting near the mountain.  My map recon was insufficient and I found my chosen path more resembled a rock-climbing expedition than a hike.  That trail was littered with chain-less, ladder-less vertical rock faces and was not marked.  At more than a few spots you had no idea what was waiting on the other side of the corner that you were going around. The trail might be there or it might be a 1,000 foot drop.  No way of knowing without going ahead.  Not having a sherpa or even any ropes, I decided to, as the Japanese say, "Have the courage to go back."  ("Courage" my butt.  Let's call it prudence or common sense but let's not call turning back courage.)



D"#$ you, Ryokami.  I had to have my revenge.




This time I chose to start at a parking lot called Shiroizasu (白井差).  My map recon was insufficient this time, too.  When I got to the parking lot, I found out you are supposed to call ahead and make a reservation.  The trail is on private land.  This information is printed on paper maps but I had done my planning online and that information isn't online.  Anyway, when I got to the parking lot, I was confronted with a sign saying it's private property, you need to make a reservation by phone in advance, parking and use of the trail costs ¥1,000, etc.  The owner turns out to be the guy who actually built and still maintains the trail that starts at the parking lot.  He was an interesting character.  He gave me a laminated map and very detailed instructions about every inch of the trail.  I asked him if he knew where I could get a badge.  He said he would happily give me one--when I came back.  I asked him where to pay the ¥1,000.  He told me to pay him--when I came back safely.  If I didn't make it down safely, parking and use of the trail would be free. 

What a bargain!   

He was an interesting guy.  Along the trail, he had left tools and equipment here and there; chain saws, gasoline, rakes, bug spray, that he must use for trail maintenance.  When I came down, I told him how impressed I was with all of the ladders, chains, and even concrete on the trail.  "How'd you get all that stuff up there?  Helicopter?"  He said that now they would use helicopters but when he put all that stuff up there 25 years ago, he packed it all on his back.  "Your back gets used to it."  Very impressive.



The trail from Shiroizasu is shorter than either trail I tried before.  The first quarter of this trail crisscrosses a stream and passes some falls.  I like that. 






Here are some random pics of the day.  It wasn't a perfectly clear day but it was better than last time.  And I got the badge.


boulder near Mt. Ryokami





In this area, there are a lot of spots with chains like this.  I was going to go to the third peak after Mt Ryokami but the old guy at Shiroizasu told me there are about 20 spots like this between the 2nd and 3rd peaks.  I decided to stop at the second peak.  One set of chains is exhilarating.  Two is worrying.  Three is tiring.  Twenty is something I don't want to contemplate.
鎖場両神山 Chains on Mt. Ryokami







This sign appears after the second peak.


"CAUTION Hachou Pass Course
This course has a lot of chains, boulders, etc.
NOT FOR BEGINNERS..."
They aren't kidding.






When I left the mountain, I dropped by the Marukami Falls (丸神ノ滝), a 20 minute walk off the road.



Marukami Falls 丸神ノ滝



And of course, I found a swimming hole to give my barking dogs a break.






More next week.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.