A day for viewing o' the green. Hikeling on St. Paddy's Day

I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many.

St. Patrick




For March 17, I did a bit of hikeling and even a little hanami (flower viewing).

I worked for about 15 years in Akiruno and I came to love the mountains so much in large part because of these trails and forestry roads that are so accessible to my former workplace.  It was a huge treat to be able to take a hike right from the school grounds.

Yesterday I headed out on my bike to a trail that runs between Hinode and Ome City.  I passed over a nice little bump called Mt. Akabokko on my way to 梅の公園 (Plum Park).   I was not actually planning about blogging this because it wasn't the most photogenic tour but I do think I can share some information that people looking for hanami or hiking recommendations in the area might like.  Don't expect a lot of beautiful pictures in this post, though.



On the way out there, I passed through Oguno.  If you have spent any time in Akiruno or Hinode, maybe you've noticed this thing in the picture and wondered what it is.  It's an emergency water tank on top of a hill.  It's visible from quite a distance.  It's behind a junior high school and there is a little park and a peace memorial nearby.  The memorial commemorates a visit by President Ronald Reagan to Japan.  I always wondered if it wasn't a backhanded compliment to put that memorial in a place where it's a sure bet that almost nobody will ever see it.  The Gipper is like Rodney Dangerfield; he don't get no respect.  No respect at all.

  This spot is a worthy destination if you need an excuse to go for a bike ride.




I entered the woods near Futatsuzuka Pass at Tokyo FM's antenna.  


It's a hiking trail but about 50% of it is ridable.


That's much steeper than it looks.  And bumpier.  Those are stairs.


This is Akabokko.  This little hill has surprisingly nice views.  This is looking west towards Yoshino Kaido and Okutama.



This is at the Umenokoen (梅の公園).  
https://www.omekanko.gr.jp/spot/81501/

I have walked or ridden past this place a few times because one of the trailheads to Mt. Hinode is nearby but this was my first time to go in.  The nearest station is Hinatawada or Miyanohira.  I walked there once after coming out of the woods.  It was a little longer than most people would probably want to walk for a picnic.  I assume you could get there by bus from Ome.  There is parking for cars and bicycles. 


The grounds are very nice but the trees are all very young and small.  Evidently, there was some tree blight that wiped out the trees around 2013 and they had to be replanted in 2015.  It was a nice place for a picnic but not much to write home about.  It's too bad because the neighborhood around the park is geared for tourists.  There is a restaurant right in front of the park and there are plenty of small businesses selling local delicacies.  I'm looking forward to seeing what it will be like in about 15 years.
























That's all for now.  More soon, I hope.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.