Mt. Konpira

The other day I was taking a long walk with a friend along the Tama River in Tachikawa.  I was happy to enjoy that time but I kept looking west to the mountains as we were walking along.  It was an "akibare" day.   Akibare is the word for a clear autumn day.  





The mountains kept calling me so when I dropped my friend at the train station I answered.  I took my bike about 15 miles into the mountains and rode up to the top of the nearest mountain I could get to.  That was Mt. Konpira in Akiruno.  

It's not a high mountain but it has a great unobstructed view of Tokyo as you can see.  



It's not high, but getting up it will get your heart pumping whether you are walking or riding.



There's a shrine and a rest area near the top.

Konpira, Musashi Itsukaichi, 武蔵五日市金毘羅山


The top is really not much to write home about.

Konpira, Musashi Itsukaichi, 武蔵五日市金毘羅山1


Just after this spot, the trail intersects with a forest road.  I jumped on it and took a left to get back down to Hinohara Kaido (Rt. 33). 


If you want to hike Konpira, you can get there directly from Musashi Itsukaichi Station.  It's only about 2km to the top from there.  Or, you can ride, as I did.  (This map only shows my route near the mountain.)






If you're interested in bicycling in this area and want to rent a bike, you can rent a road or mountain bike right across the street from Musashi Itsukaichi Station at the Urayama Base.  Make a reservation here: https://ura-yama.com/bicycle.  

On the streets or on the forest roads, bicycling out here is a lot of fun!  



Thanks for dropping by the cave.  Come again.



 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.