S'up?
. . . about Mt. Nyukasa (入笠山)
This lovely mountain is at the northern tip of the Akaishi Mountain Range, AKA the Southern Alps Range. It's not one of the 100 Famous Mountains of Japan, but it one of the 100 Famous Mountains of Shinshu. (Shinshu is one name for the geographical area.) It's also one of Japan's 300 Famous Mountains. It offers great views of Yatsugatake, the various Alps and half of Lake Suwa. Purportedly, 31 of Japan's 100 Famous Mountains' peaks are visible from there. Since there is a gondola nearby, and pets are allowed, it is very popular with families. There are many trails, campgrounds and lodges in the area. The mountain lilies (suzuran) are beautfiul.
It may have earned it's name because it is said to resemble an umbrella over a pile of rice. "Nyu" means "put in" and "kasa" is umbrella. I'm not quite sure how exactly the meaning of the words in the name equates to the image they said it does but, whatever. The kasa part I can understand. The nyu part, I don't get. Rice isn't mentioned at all in the name.
Another name it has been, or may have been called were Suzuran, which means Mountain Lily. Amakoi is also rumored to have been used in the past. Amakoi means something about attracting rain. Supposedly, they used to have rain-making ceremonies.
Area:
Okaya City. Not far from Lake Suwa.
Location:
Map: ***If you want a link to the latest Yama to Kogen map, comment and I'll get you a link. This link is to a printable topo map of this area.
Starting and stopping point:
Free Parking Lot at Suzurannosato Station (This station is about one hour from Kofu on the Chuo Line going towards Matsumoto. Kofu is about 2 hours from Shinjuku.)
I think most people use the gondola or start at the Sawairi Trailhead.
Beward of Bears
Peaks bagged: Nyukasa (入笠山) and Akanora (アカノラ山)
(First-time) peaks # 1,155 and 1,156
(I happened to take a picture of a guy holding a sign commemorating his 100th peak. Good for him!)
Getting there/getting around:
I drove. As the crow flies, it is only 20 km (about 12.5 miles) from my house to the parking lot. The driving distance was 64 km and took about 90 minutes. If I took public transportation, it would take 4.5 hours. 😆 It would take less time to get there from Tokyo Station.
Helpful Info
Weather Information:
Time and distance
YAMAP's Estimate Time: 7:56 Distance: 18.8*
The Caveman did it in: Total Time: 6:14 Break time: :15 Distance: 21.6 km
Elevation: Lowest: 889 m Highest: 1,955 m Total Ascent: 1,299 m Total Descent: 1,299 m
*My plan was to piston the hike from the station to the top. I deviated quite a bit on the return so I could see something new.
Technical considerations/difficulty:
Nothing really to speak of.
Facilities:
Lots of stuff.
Let's look at pictures.
Thoughts/observations/recommendations:
I think I hiked this in the most boring season. The best time for the flowers is in June. They must really be spectacular. I was too early for the fall foliage. Winter must be great, too. Evidently, it's popular to ride the gondola up and go snowshoeing. I might try that someday.
(Along with all the regular stuff such as maps, headlamps, boots, feet, and brains, . . .) don't forget:
. . . to subscribe and to check out my other social media. And, oh yeah, tell your friends. (Or not. Whatever.)
On the way up, I encountered this closed and/or abandoned hut. Behind it was this bench overlooking Lake Suwa. What a nice spot.
The aforementioned view.
This is a large, fenced-off section that contains wildflowers. Most of them bloom in early summer.
From the top.
It was crowded up there!
"Nyukasa Wetland"
Gondola Times
It runs April ~ December
The gondola
Yatsugatake
And a closer shot.
The entire range is visible from here, but this is just the southern end.
Heading back to the station
My instagram Caveman1085 or youtube Caveman on Youtube channel
Click the Buy Me a Coffee button if you're a good person.
Click it twice if you want to become a good person.
Thank you for your attention to this matter!
Caveman out
Want to see Lake Suwa from the other side?




No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.