S'up?
I had the opportunity to climb this great mountain with my better half.
What a day.
. . . about Mt. Iwaki
Iwaki (岩木) means "boulder" "tree." This is the highest mountain in Aomori Prefecture and is located overlooking the Tsugaru Plain which is dotted with orchards bearing Aomori's famous and delicious apples. Iwaki is sometimes called Tsugaru Fuji. To the west, you can see the Sea of Japan.
Area:
Aomori (青森)--"blue"* "forest." is the northernmost prefecture on Japan's largest island, Honshu. This region is called Tohoku--"east" "north." It is cold in the winter.
*In Japanese, they traditionally use their word for blue when English speakers would differentiate the color as green. Therefore, they'll talk about "blue" vegetables or trees and traffic signals turn from red to "blue."
Location:
Map: ***If you want a link to the latest Yama to Kogen map, comment and I'll get you a link. This link is to a printable topo map of this area.
Starting and stopping point:
Beward of Bears
Peaks bagged: Chokai (鳥海山)~ Iwaki (岩木山)
(First-time) peaks #1,131~1,132
(First-time) 100 Famous Mountain peak #63
Getting there/getting around:
Drove. It's a ¥2,000 toll road to get to the lift. You can also get to the lift from the bus terminal at Hirosaki Station for ¥2,500.
Helpful Info
Weather Information:
Time and distance
Time: This time I really took my time. I think it was over two hours. Distance: 2.5 km or so
Technical considerations/difficulty:
It's steep and there are a lot of boulders to scramble over. There are many ropes. That said, there were a lot of families with elementary-school-aged children there.
Facilities:
There is an emergency hut and toilet at the top.
Thoughts/observations/recommendations:
Do it if you can.
Picture Time:
That's what Iwaki looks like from the road.
This float is in the visitor's center.
This time of year is when the popular Nebuta Festival is held.
Red Bull recorded this guy's drive up the winding road to the ropeway parking lot.
Emergency Hut at the top
The marker at the top
The one named Mt. Oda with the orange marker is Mt. Hakkoda. I would climb that a few days later.
This picture is looking back at Iwaki from Hakkoda. I love being able to see where I've been.
I banged my head on that crossbeam.
It's concrete.
(Not my head, the structure.)
It hurt.
Emergency Hut
The Sea of Japan
What might this mean?
A bicycle on a mountain?
(It's a composting biotoilet.)
There's no sign at the top of Mt. Chokai.
(Along with all the regular stuff such as maps, headlamps, boots, feet, and brains, . . .) don't forget:
sunscreen
Before I say goodbye . . .
Have you subscribed?
Have you shared the Caveman's info with your friends?
Have you commented? (No, you haven't. Be honest.)
Leave a comment, will ya?
Have you been to my instagram Caveman1085 or youtube Caveman on Youtube channel?
Have you kicked in some sheckels? If you people duke me enough ducats, I'll climb the rest of the 100 Famous Mountains and tell you all about it. Click the Buy Me a Coffee button if you're feeling generous.
Thank you for your attention to this matter!
Caveman out



No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.