100 Famous Mountain in Yamanashi, Mt. Daibosatsurei

 






S'up?

Even though this was a special hike, this will be a short post.  I'm on the road right now bagging peaks in Tohoku.  

I took the Caveboy, AKA Bambam, to one of my favorite mountains the other day, Mt. Daibosatsurei.  

. . . about Mt. Daibosatsurei

This is a beautiful mountain in Enzan, Yamanashi.    It is deservedly on the list of 100 Famous Mountains.  This has one of the loveliest views of Mt. Fuji.  It's also one of the 100 Flower Mountains of Japan.  There are deer in the area.  It's such a nice mountain that I have climbed it six times.  One of the charms of this mountain is the number of trails and their different characteristics.  The north and northeastern area is a bit more rugged and less crowded.  The southern side offers a long string of mountains festooned with mountain flowers.  The western side has a lot of lodges and more gentle trails.  Whichever way you attack it, the area around the top, above the treeline, allows you to get great views of Fuji, the Southern Alps, and the Okuchichibu Area.


Area:

This corner of Yamanashi is south of the ridgeline of mountains which runs from Hokuto to Okutama.  (Mizugaki~Kobushigatake~Kasatori~Kumotori, etc.)  Not far to the northwest of here is the Nishizawa Keikoku.  To the south, there are several lovely mountains which are notable for flowers like Daibosatsurei.  

Location:

Map:  ***If you want a link to the latest Yama to Kogen map, comment and I'll get you a link.  This link is to a printable topo map of this area.

Starting and stopping point: 

Lake Daibosatsu Northside Parking Lot





Peaks bagged: Toyama (砥山) ~ Oyashirazunoatama (親知ノ頭) ~ Myokennoto (妙見ノ頭) ~ Daibosatsurei (大菩薩嶺)

(First-time) peaks # ---

Getting there/getting around:  


Route 411 loops around it from Tabayama in the northwest to Fuefuki in its southeast.  If you're driving, you can take the scenic route through Okutama.  Alternatively, you could drive out Koshu Kaido (Route 20) to the area.  Of course, you could take a train to Kai Yamato and then grab a bus from there.

Helpful Info

Weather Information: 



Time and distance

YAMAP's Estimate Time:  4:59    Distance: 8.8 Km
The Caveman did it in: Total Time:  5:03  Break time: :29  Distance:  13.4  km*  (I guess we deviated quite a bit from the plan I created on YAMAP.)
Elevation:  Lowest: 1,538  m Highest: 2,057 m Total Ascent: 804 m Total Descent: 804 m

Technical considerations/difficulty:  

Not much to speak of.  There are no ropes, ladders or chains.  Above the treeline, you are exposed to the elements and there are two or three rocky areas you need to scamble over.  Those are not any more dangerous than a child's playground, though.

Facilities:  
There are several huts with restaurants and such around the mountain.  There is an onsen or two, here and there.  There are pay toilets here and there.  We had lunch at the Chobei Lodge.  I have a soft spot in my heart for that place.  I bought a t-shirt there on one of my first hikes on Daibosatsurei many years ago and it is one of my favorites.  Many people start their hike there after taking a bus there from Kai Yamato Station.  There is camping at that lodge, too.


Thoughts/observations/recommendations:  

Do it.

Here are some pictures


Starting out, I was pretty excited to look up at this ridgeline.  I'd been up and down those mountains several times several years ago.  It was a bit nostalgic.



I don't know why Toyama gets rated as a mountain peak.  
There are many peaks that make me scratch my head.

















At the Daibosatsu Pass










More nostalgia looking toward Tokyo







The top of the mountain actually has no view.  It's kind of anticlimactic.




I forget that people don't see deer as often as I do.  The reactions of the people to this one wandering onto the trail were pretty funny.  



This doe walked over to a tree about 5 feet in front of where a woman was sitting.  The woman started ringing her bear bell at her as if she were afraid Bambi was about to attack.





Mt. Myoukennnoto ("Eerie ~ View ~ Head Mountain)














Lunch at the Chobei Lodge.
They sell peaches and a lot of t-shirts.










Did I say there were onsens in the area?
This was even better!





Oh, yeah.
That's the ticket.




Before I say goodbye . . .

Have you subscribed?

Have you shared the Caveman's info with your friends?

Have you commented?  (No, you haven't.  Be honest.)
Leave a comment, will ya?

Have you been to my instagram Caveman1085 or youtube Caveman on Youtube channel?

Have you kicked in some sheckels?  If you people duke me enough ducats, I'll climb the rest of the 100 Famous Mountains and tell you all about it.  Click the Buy Me a Coffee button if you're feeling generous.  You'll feel good knowing you're helping out a poor caveman.

Thank you for your attention to this matter!
Caveman out






No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.