Signs of magic. First snow on Mt. Jinba in 2022.


 Ukai Toriyama, Hachioji


Location:  Sagamihara and Hachioji

Starting and stopping point:  Fujino Station〜Takao Station

Mountains climbed: Jinba Nango Fujigo Akaiwa Dosho Kagenobu Kobotoke Raigan Kasuga Obora Konpira Konpira 

Getting there/getting around:  JR Chuo Line 

Map:  Yama to Kogen Chizu #28 高尾・陣馬 TAKAO・JINBA

Weather Information:  Mt. Jinba Weather

Time:  8 hours and change 

Distance:  27.3km

Elevation:  Lowest:  169m Highest: 855m  Total Ascent:  1,700m Total Descent: 1,748m

Technical considerations/difficulty:  There are no ropes, chains, or ladders.  This is basically just walking in the woods.  There are steep parts, but nothing too strenuous.

Facilities:  On weekends, there are tea houses serving food and selling t-shirts, etc. as well as public restrooms on Mts Jinba, Kagenobu and Shiroyama Kobotoke.  There is a restroom on the map at Myootoge, but I think it's out of commission.

Thoughts/observations/recommendations: I really enjoyed this hike.  I do like these mountains better on weekdays, though.  I'm spoiled because I'm used to having these mountains to myself.  On the one hand, it was nice to be there when the tea houses are open for business and to experience a bit of a festive mood from the many happy people eating steaming bowls of noodles and chatting with friends.  On the other hand, I go to the mountains to get away from people!  They are my mancave, after all.  😉  And I'm impatient when there are lots of people on trails.  The hikers with bear bells drive me to distraction.  I hate those bells so much that whenever I find a pile of bear scat, part of me hopes to find a bear bell in the middle of it.


Here's what the day looked like:








This is the scene as you leave Fujino Station.  That Love Letter art installation, which is visible from the Chuo Line and the expressway, has been something that's intrigued me for years.  I got close up to it a few weeks ago.  That was neat.



There is a bus from Fujino Station to the trailhead.  I opted to walk.  I'm happy I did.  This was cool.




The first third or so of the hike was the most pleasant.  I saw almost nobody until I got to the top of Jinba.  Then I saw a lot of people for the balance of the day.  


So many of Japan's mountain trails wind their way through or near private properties.


It was such a gorgeous morning and I felt so good that it seemed like I flew up to the top of Jinba.  And since that was the highest point of the day it was more or less all downhill from there.


You might be wondering what in the world that sculpture is and what a Jinba is.  It is something akin to a warhorse.  The peak was an area where a warlord had marshaled his troops at one time or another and the name has come from that time.

Mt. Fuji was being coy today.

I've never been here when these places are open.








I'm not a fan of the crowds but it was nice to have a nice hot cup of coffee up there.




The trails from Jinba toward Kagenobu and Takao are often quite flat.  That was one reason that I found myself running a lot.  The other reason were the people on the trails.  When I see someone ahead of me, I feel compelled to put them behind me.  Especially if they have bear bells.  I probably haven't mentioned it, but I hate those bells.






Next stop, Mt. Kagenobu.  They were partying like it was 1599 up there!







Mt. Tsukuba is 103km (64 mi) away in Ibaraki.



After Kobotoke, I had planned to descend at Mt. Takao.  The number of people I'd already seen on less-well-known mountains had impressed me.  Contemplating how many people would be on a mountain as popular as Takao downright depressed me.  I opted to cross Koshu Kaido at the Odarumi Pass and head on to Takao Station on that side of Koshu Kaido.  The Odarumi Pass is the border between Tokyo and Kanagawa.  The hill up to it is a bear on a bicycle.  :-)





There was a bit less foot traffic on this side but I was not able to stay in the woods the whole time.  I had to pop out onto Koshu Kaido for a while.  On the way, I passed through the Ukai Toriyama, a super-swanky restaurant/wedding venue.









After walking on pavement for a bit, was able to escape back into the woods for the final leg.  These stairs are leading up to the shrine on top of the second Mt. Konpira I'd climbed that day.  It's really common for mountains to be given the same name here.

At the shrine on top

The end.  Takao Station on the Chuo Line.








Well cave- critters, that's all for today.  More soon, I hope.  

Stay safe out there.  Stay away from bears.  Remember, those bells just might sound like dinner bells to them!



1 comment:

  1. A light dusting of snow on Jinbasan nice. A fair hike this one. Helps when the trails aren’t hidden under layers of leaf matter, and you can spend more time enjoying the view. I hear you on the bear bells. Those loud tingling ones do my head in.

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment? Please, keep it clean.